Almost a weekend of celebration
It's Monday, and technically it should be a normal working day, but I took matters into my own hands and declared today as a day of rest and relax - if i've not done so already.
First and foremost, to all the chinese out there...HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR! It's the year of the pig *oink oink*, which means Dad has officially turned old-er.
Highlights over this weekend:
1. Reunion dinner at my borrowed family's house - It was such a hot summer day that the transformer went "bang" and cut off all elecricity to the street. I was enjoying myself with Lady (sorry, i wish i have a photo of her, she's a cute white ball of fluff - a cross tzishu and maltesse) under the aircon when i heard the bang. In the heat of panic, everyone rushed around trying to cook using the BBQ stove and make-shift gas stove in the garage. It was fun and hilarious trying to cook in the dark - burnt vegetables and tea towel caught fire. We ate and ate and ate, under the candle lights, being bitten by mozzies, getting drunk under the stars.
2. Fixing the transformer -It took the electrician 2 hours before 2 trucks drove up the street. 15 kids (age between 4 - 19) stood outside watching them replace the fused something (i really have no idea what that thing was). I had a little girl Joey in my arms. She was so tiny that I was afraid of crushing her ribs. 20 minutes later, we saw lights! One house after another.... HURAY! All the kids yelled in delight - Thank you mister, thank you for your help and happy chinese new year! - quite frankly, I doubt these guys know that we were having a celebration, or why we are so relief to rush back in to the room and switch on the aircon.
3. A phone call from my real home - Dad's birthday falling on the first day of CNY? It's huge! Not to mention turning 60 is a milestone to celebrate. Talking on the phone with my real family was tough - laughing and passing the phone around to a room full of people, some I don't even remember what they look like now. 8 nieces and nephews? Since when?! It was faster than speed dating - *ding* times up, next aunty on the line....
4. Mom's extra special day - So I've officially lived for 28 years, 12 hours and 24 minutes. And I don't feel a day any different.
I've always imagined this weekend to be different. It would have been a BIG celebration of food, party, laughter and the whole village would have been there. Except it was almost that, minus the real family.
Big Thanks to my borrowed family!! - the food was great as usual,and the company was hilarious! Sorry I couldn't share point #4 with you guys. It's a secret :)
ps: I've received my first ang pao (red packet) in 8 years! Yipee!
No comments:
Post a Comment