Sunday, February 4, 2007

Old letters

Once in a blue moon i'll tidy up my wardrobe when i'm bored at home and too lazy to go out. I thought about dyeing my hair to some other color but I was way too lazy to drive out and get the color.
What a pleasant surprise when i saw a box of "goodies". Letters, cards and gifts given to me from friends. I felt like a little kid finding a treasure box full of gold coin chocolates! (although i really would rather like to find a box full of money, fat chance).

Drawing up a cup of hot chocolate with my fondue (awsome, if you're a chocolate lover, get one and make your own creamy thick hot chocolate), had the aircon cranked up (money well spent! *pat on my back*), i sat curl up on the sofa slowing reading through all the cards, letters and gifts.

Can i just say, sad as it seems, there were so many that i just cried while reading through them. Surprisingly, these are friends that i've not lost. Just that we're all scattered around the world. Letters dated back to 1999, the latest being 2003. That just shows that after 2003, when email became really dominant in my life (and that's the year i started working), i spent less time on more personal communications. I'm a slave to technology. When I meet someone, it's "do you have an email/business card?" as opposed to "what's your mailing address?" and i hate exchanging phone numbers, it's a tad too personal for my liking.
As i read through the letters, i realised that i killed the old me. Either that or I've matured to a boring, selfish little b!tch. Some old habits die hard, as i read through some, i can't help but smile..."that is just so ME".

This is a shout out of those who have sent me endless postcards and letters, first and foremost, sorry that i've not once wrote back, and all i did was emailed or sms back (my excuse is im in IT). Secondly, it was these written words that made me realised why I should continue being who I am and not fit myself into someone elses' mould (I'm too unique to be fitted into a prepared mould). And lastly, I promise to email and/or sms you with my updates :) Old habits die hard remember? Moreover, i have terrible handwritting :)

No comments: